Thursday, February 24, 2011

I hate Flickr, I love Flickr, I hate Flickr....

First off, I HATE Flickr....
Just to be clear, I HATE it....
Okay, I don't hate it, but when I first started this new assignment for 23 things extreme dislike developed between me and Flickr...
I have used Flickr before but its been awhile so when I first went to the website I created a new account which just seemed to be a royal pain in the ass and took forever.  I will mention I am extremely impatient with technology.  Cell phones, websites, Internet, whatever...patience has never been a virtue of mine but all this technology has made me even worse.  I expect things done quickly and with relative ease and I think registering for an account on any website should take like 2 minutes, tops...So I was already a little irritated with Flickr after this.
Then I came back to Flick a couple hours later to actual play around on it and complete my 23 things assignment.  I probably tried 20 times to log in and it WOULD NOT LET ME BACK IN!  No matter what I did, I used my yahoo id and account and then my gmail account and it drove me insane!  I have never been so irritated with a website.  I have a school loan account with a tiny little school I attended in New Mexico and I pay my bill online sometimes.  They are a VERY small institution and their website is very low key but it is 100 times easier to use than Flickr in my opinion.  I find this unacceptable...it makes me feel stupid or like I am doing something wrong because a million other people seem to use Flickr with no problem so its obviously my fault, user error, Flickr is screaming at me "YOU SUCK HEATHER".  I consider myself a pretty tech savvy person, I can figure out stuff pretty easily, usually....So how in the world can a website lower my self-esteeem?  I don't know but Flickr managed to do it...
Moving on....

I eventually did somehow manage to get back on Flickr, although I don't ever remember actually putting my password in but magically I'm on again so whatever....
I played around with the World Map thingy and I did enjoy it....don't tell the Flickr people, I'm still miffed at them.
I searched places I want to visit or places I have been.  New Orleans, Greece, Seattle, Istanbul.  I found some AMAZING and absolutely beautiful pictures.  Makes me want to travel even more now :)

I'm thinking Flickr could be helpful reference tool when helping teens with their research projects where they need photos for presentations.  It would also open up a discussion with teens on photo sharing and copyright permissions and whatnot... 
I will say I really liked the Flickr guidelines. I thought they were great and witty, polite and wonderful about emphasizing not using other people's photos without permission.  I don't think I have ever had a reference question about photo sharing though.  Teens just want to know how to upload photos to Facebook most days.  I also really like the Explore option on Flickr.  I don't take a lot of photos and I don't think I will use Flickr right now for much in the way of photo sharing but I do enjoy viewing the interesting photos in the last 7 days and the calendar view of this month was really cool too.  OMG, I just discovered the COOLEST thing about Flickr!  I might just be changing my attitude about Flickr as I write this.  They have this gallery option in Explore!  I love themed galleries of pics!  I just found one on laundromats!  I LOVE IT!  There is this great pic called Loads of Lovin' by Lori Elizabeth, I want it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrysti/galleries/72157622440357680/

So last off, I LOVE Flickr!  LOL, I'm such a freak, I run so hot and cold :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hanging in there. Flickr is pretty cool isn't it?
    -Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny! I'm glad it ended on a high note - even if it was just because of the cute shots of couples smooching in the laundrymat. I'm totally doing a program on creating galleries in Flickr.

    ReplyDelete