Monday, February 21, 2011

Twitter and Facebook...

Soooo....I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook.  I like how I can keep up with friends that I don't get to see on a regular basis and we can keep in touch.  I like how I can make plans with friends and send my brother messages when his phone is turned off.  I like the gratification of having someone comment on my status when they understand something I am going through or think something I did or experienced was funny.  But honestly I think Facebook is evil.  Evil, evil. evil....I think it sucks up all my time, attention, and happiness most days.  I hate how it turns me into a stalker and I obsess over other people's lives because they seem to have it all, happy marriage, beautiful children (or they are glowing and pregnant), etc., etc., etc...and then when I see all of this I feel like my life is not measuring up, which is SO not a rational thought or true but I can't help it and then I get all depressed and eat a box of Twinkies or several bowls of Captain Crunch.  But then even after I recognize that Facebook is not a healthy thing to have in my life right now, I still get right back on the next day....or fifteen minutes later...
I hate how I have come to measure my happiness by Facebook and friend's statuses and I wish I had more willpower to stay off the damn thing.  Moving on though...
Twitter is new for me, I've been aware of it and I have friends that use it but this was the first time I signed on and played around on it.  I liked it, I like how I can follow my favorite teen authors, Martha Stewart, NPR, Pink, and Sesame Street all at the same time.  Makes me happy for some reason...
Which is a nice change from Facebook.  However, Twitter is a little too high maintenance for me for some reason, I feel overwhelmed when I get on it.  I don't feel like updating it regularly like I do Facebook either.  Not sure why...
When it comes to using Twitter for reference questions I guess if you are friends/followers of other library systems and librarians you could post questions and get helpful responses back from all over the country (or world!).  Also, maybe if I needed help finding book ideas for a teen like maybe GLBT titles or dystopian fiction, etc. other librarians could reply and post their suggestions. 
The things I think are important to know when helping patrons (teens in my experience) with Facebook are the privacy settings.  I have helped many teens adjust their privacy settings because they asked for help in that department.  The only other thing teens ask a lot is how to upload photos to Facebook.
I signed up for LinkedIn as well and found that mildly interesting as well.  Could be useful when looking for a new job...

All in all I think social networking is wonderful, amazing, fun and evil...I am swearing off Facebook for a week, at least one week just to see what its like for me without Facebook for awhile.  I just think that a little too much social networking can be a bad thing, at least for me.  For the past year I have had its not helping me move on or grow or stay positive, its doing the opposite so ONE WEEK!  We'll see how it goes...

1 comment:

  1. Like I told you, one week should be a piece of cake. I go whole days forgetting it exists, but that's probably because it's not even the most compelling social network that I'm part of.

    ReplyDelete